Rent assistance and help with an eviction:

Visit for additional information and list of agencies and programs.

Rent assistance in Seattle and King County.

(copied from

Locate information on how to get rent assistance in Seattle and King County Washington. Several different government programs, charities, non-profit organizations and agencies focus on dealing with housing issues that residents may be facing. Services range from financial assistance to paying rent up through free legal advice on evictions.

The leading non-profits and agencies to call for housing and rent help are noted below. As with most financial assistance programs, funding is limited, and many programs have waiting lists, such as the section 8 housing voucher program. It is always advised to call a Seattle or King County Washington organization early when you need rent help or advice on dealing with a landlord, and do not wait until you have received an eviction notice.

Wellspring Family Services Housing Services, which is located on 1900 Rainier Ave. S, Seattle, Washington 98144 (phone number 206-902-4271) offers programs including eviction prevention and rental assistance. Among other housing programs and services, the agency provides limited financial assistance and cash grants for low-income (50% or less of HUD income guidelines) and working poor individuals and families. In addition, speak to a counselor about housing stability services, advocacy, and eviction prevention programs.

Catholic Community Services offers King County residents emergency assistance. At most once per year, the non-profit provides move-in cost assistance, eviction prevention, emergency rent help and limited motel and shelter vouchers. Call (206) 328 – 5724

University Churches Emergency Fund can offer emergency assistance up to once per year. Call the program to get emergency financial assistance and referrals to non-profits. Aid is limited to $50 to $75 once in a 12-month period.  16th Ave NE in Seattle, dial 206-524-7885


Housing Justice Project (HJP). Phone 206-267-7090. The Seattle Washington pro-bono law firm can offer free legal help to qualified elderly, low-income, and disabled tenants who are facing eviction but who need an attorney. Some of the legal services offered, all for free, include legal advice, information and educational materials about the eviction process; referrals; direct landlord/tenant negotiations; and free legal representation with an attorney at eviction hearings.

Northwest Hope and Healing Foundation, based in Seattle, can be contacted for rental assistance. The non-profit agency provides assistance to women with breast cancer across King County Washington and the Northwest US.

Jewish Family Service. Regardless of religion, this agency may offer rent assistance. Dial 206-461-3240. They are located at 1601 16th Ave., Seattle 98122. Get referrals including emergency financial assistance. Programs offered can help cover and pay for refundable security deposits for families and individuals with children who were previously homeless in King County. Keep in mind that limited housing, rent and shelter funds are available. However shelter vouchers, including motel and hotel, are available as well.

Salvation Army on Pike Street in Seattle (206-447-9944). The charity organization can provide emergency rent assistance for those low income individuals and families who have eviction notice. A counselor can also assist with move ins. Also food and limited utility bill assistance is offered. This is in addition to all rental programs.

Senior Services – For seniors over 60 years old, the center can provide information, resources and assistance about a range of services for those who need help. Call them for information on resources and support, including assistance with applying for federal and state subsidies. Dial (206) 448 – 3110.

Central Area Motivation Program. While this focuses on energy and heating assistance, they may be a place to call to get information on rent and housing programs too. Funds are limited. Dial 206-812-4940

North Helpline, Address – 12736 33rd Avenue Northeast, Phone – 206-367-3477. A limited area of Seattle and King County Washington is covered, including ZIP codes of 98115, 98125, 98133, 98155, and 98177. The non-profit can offer emergency assistance, including rent assistance, eviction prevention funds and advice, help for move-in costs, assistance with preventing utility shut-offs, and referrals to community services and local charities. Hours of the site are limited.

West Seattle Helpline, located on 35th Avenue, provides limited emergency rent assistance to prevent eviction from homes and apartments. (206) 932 – 4357

Solid Ground Landlord/Tenant Counseling. Dial 206-694-6767. Some limited one time rental assistance is offered. However more extensive is free eviction counseling, and basically free advice for those who receive eviction notices. Also get advice and support including information on tenants’ rights and responsibilities.

King County Housing Authority, Section 8 Office is located in Seattle. Call the office at 206-214-1300. The office provides services to King County outside of the city limits of Seattle and Renton Washington. Section 8 housing vouchersin effect offer subsidies for rental housing for low income, elderly, disabled, working poor and families. There is a lengthy waiting list.

Another government office to try to call for help is the Seattle Housing Authority. Phone 206-239-1500. While they do not offer emergency rent assistance fund, they can facilitate rental housing for low-income families, disabled/ elderly/ handicapped individuals, including additional section 8.

Neighborhood House Helpline – Low income residents of South King County, including White Center/Burien residents, can get assistance with eviction prevention funds and grants. Seattle Washington (206) 767 – 7124.


For more information about eviction prevention programs for homeless and low-income people, please contact the agencies listed above or the 211 Community Information Line by dialing 211 or 1-800-621-4636.